For decades, schools and universities’ canteens or cafeterias are considered as one of the primary sources of unhealthy and junk foods. Because of this, students are experiencing childhood obesity that wrecks havoc their health, as well as their self-esteem and confidence. Obesity is linked to the increased risk of developing life-threatening diseases such as diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, high cholesterol levels, and cardiovascular diseases. Obesity can also result to the child being bullied. As a result, their confidence in dealing with other people diminishes.
To aid with the increasing rate of child obesity, first lady Michelle Obama re-introduced programs such as putting up of school gardens that will offer farm fresh products like watermelon that can be used to provide healthy watermelon juice. Because of the first lady’s active and enthusiastic encouragement, Let’s Move Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh was born.
- Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh works side by side in order to raise awareness about childhood obesity and how to combat it
Childhood obesity is a serious problem. However, most of us are still unaware with this growing dilemma that doesn’t just affect the person who is obese. Aside from that, childhood obesity has a long-term effect that can affect the life of the child not only in his childhood days but even when he or she grows older. Thus, Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh raise awareness to encourage the students, teachers, and parents to consider childhood obesity as a severe issue that must be tackled and solved.
- Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh aim to educate the students regarding the importance of eating farm fresh products
These days, students are not aware regarding the importance of eating farm fresh products. This is due to the availability of junk foods and fast food meals.
- Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh is a collective effort of people from different walks of life
Both the Salad Bars to Schools and the Tour De Fresh are formed with the efforts of people from different walks of life with the goal of helping children to develop healthy eating habits.
- Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh encourages to upgrade schools and universities’ cafeteria in order to serve healthy food choices.
Most of the canteens and cafeterias in schools and universities offer unhealthy snacks. So, the students are prone to eating these kinds of foods. That’s why Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh encourage school administrators to cooperate in updating the cafeterias by offering salad bars and farm fresh products.
- Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh collaborate with other foundations and organizations to collect donations for the schools and universities’ salad bars and cafeteria upgrade.
Updating cafeterias and canteens might be expensive for the school administrations. Thus, Salad Bars to Schools and Tour De Fresh collaborated with other foundations and organizations to collect an ample amount to help in the process.