Slushie is one of those refreshments that we crave during the summer or on a hot day. Slushies are readily available on convenience stores, specifically 7-11 and are relatively cheap. Cheap and enjoyable, they’re basically a steal right? No! They are packed with sugar, food coloring and artificial additives. Also, it important to note that “natural flavorings” may be shady since chemicals and MSG are allowed under this description. No! Just no.
I can’t believe after writing several watermelon drink recipes, it’s a shame that I overlook that watermelons are perfect for slushies. Slushies are so much fun to make, and kids love them! Making this refreshment could be a good bonding moment with our little ones.
So, I once again search for interesting slushie recipes and I happen to find this gold. This recipe uses watermelon and cucumber, we all know their flavors mesh so well together and they are the power pairing for hydration. Just like our previous juice recipes, this recipe is something out of the ordinary. This is all natural, healthy refreshing and has no added sugar at all. And while it use ice cubes, it doesn’t use water because, again, that’s pretty basic. Not that I hate water or anything. Without further ado here is the recipe for Watermelon Cucumber Slushie:
- 3 cups organic watermelon flesh, fresh or frozen
- 1 cup organic cucumber, peeled
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 3-4 tablespoon raw light-colored honey
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
- 3 cups ice cubes made from coconut water
- Prepare the watermelon flesh and cut them into cubes. Freeze the cubes for a few hours or overnight.
- Slice the cucumber in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Put all the ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until it the ice cubes are finely crushed or the mixture looks like a slushie. If you are having a hard time blending it, add in a small amount of water.
- Serve immediately.
Watermelon and cucumber are available all year round and local produce are in season right now, you might wanna take advantage of it while you can. Both of the main ingredients are good for revitalizing and hydrating the body since they have high water content. It is also a known fact that they are good in detoxifying the body. And they are naturally slightly sweet and delicious.
In addition, watermelon and cucumber is rich in antioxidants and vitamin A and C which helps the skin healthy and boost the immune system.
There you have it. Go and make your own and make the preparation a bonding moment, it will make the slushie experience more enjoyable.