Thought to have originated in southern Africa, watermelon is a delicious and refreshing fruit. It is very characteristic of summer, especially for its low caloric levels, containing only 46 calories per cup, and high levels of hydration, vitamin C, vitamin A and many healthy plant compounds. Watermelon fruit is 91% water, contains 6% sugars, and is low in fat.
Growing in tropical and sub-tropical areas worldwide, this fruit is a special kind of berry. The sweet, juicy flesh is usually deep red to pink, with many black seeds. The fruit can be eaten raw or pickled and the rind is edible after cooking.
In 2007, the Oklahoma State Senate passed a bill declaring watermelon as the official state vegetable, with some controversy about whether it is a vegetable or a fruit.
People from Botswana, Namibia, Angola, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Lesotho and South Africa, known as Bushmen or San, consume the fruit for its nourishment properties, allowing survival on a diet called tsamma for six weeks.
- Benefits of drinking Watermelon juice:
- Watermelon juice is scientifically proven to aid in rapid re-hydration and athletic recovery.
- Watermelons contain Vitamins A, B, and C. These vitamins are essential for many functions, including proper immune system function, skin health, and increased metabolism.
- Watermelon is one of the few natural foods with an abundance of L-citrulline, an amino acid that reduces muscle soreness after workouts and may reduce high blood pressure.
- Watermelons contain 4 times the amount of Lycopene of a tomato, a powerful antioxidant.
Lycopene is a powerful antioxidant that help to prevent cancer and keep your heart healthy. So if you are looking for a unique juice blend that offers increased levels of hydration, is packed with antioxidants and essential nutrients, like Lycopene and Vitamin C, you can try the TSAMMA Watermelon + Coconut Water Blend. This blend is an ideal performance hydration drink and can even been served as a cocktail. Find two recipes below:
Watermelon Juice Cocktails
- Triple sec
- Fresh squeezed lime juice
Mix all the ingredients in a blender with ice.